New Pop Lit seeks to fuse pop writing with the literary, creating a new hybrid. Our goal is to present not just literary work, but a total artistic experience.
Karl (King) Wenclas
Karl is former head of the notorious Underground Literary Alliance. Currently he creates zines and ebooks.
CONTRIBUTING EDITOR AND STYLE ADVISOR:
Kathleen M. Crane
Kathleen is a former model and current t-shirt designer. She’s the author of Aloha From Detroit.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us at twitter @NewPopLit
The Mission of New Pop Lit
Our goal is nothing less than to upend today’s literary scene. To make American literature attention-grabbing. We seek to do this not with activism, but art. With fiction and poetry that’s innovative, striking, and real.
The world deserves better poems and stories!
Our current big need is for short audio recitations for our new Open Mic feature. Three minutes max recommended.
We are interested in good storytelling, which means reader-friendly writing. Stream-of-consciousness diversions and endless sentences are not our thing. We’ll take well-structured originality over what everyone else is doing. We enjoy clarity and pace.
We place few limitations on genre– but we don’t like pointless sex or violence merely for the sake of sex or violence. We prefer reality over fantasy. We like edginess. We believe great writing can be uplifting and we always like humor. If that sounds vague, so be it! The story or poem itself is what’s most important. We want to be amazed.
Send in your work exactly how you’d like it to appear in print.
Single spacing in a simple font please, like Arial or Times New Roman. We accept .txt, .doc or Open Office text files; we do not accept .pdf. Text in the body of an email is fine too. We do not take hard copy submissions at this time, sorry.
Email submissions to newpoplit (at) gmail (dot) com, with “Submission” in the subject line.
When your work has been accepted, we will email you requesting a two-sentence biography, Twitter/Facebook handles and website link. (All are optional, but we can publicize your work better with this information.)
A Word On Rights, etc.
1. We accept simultaneous submissions.
2. We do not accept previously published work.*
3. There is typically a three month period between when we accept your story/poetry/op-ed and when we can get it published. If we have already committed to publishing your work, please do not submit it elsewhere in the meantime.
5. Authors retain all rights to their work, but by submitting to New Pop Lit you grant us the right to publish and retain it online for a period of 18 months after initial publication, as well as include the work in our future hardcopy publications. If authors republish their work elsewhere, please reference New Pop Lit as the place of original publication.
6. Authors may contact us to have their work removed (if they wish) after 18 months from its initial publication, although we sincerely hope they will appreciate the benefits of continuing to let us promote their work!
Thanks for considering us. We look forward to reading your stories, poems, and essays!
(*Writing previously made available to the public in any form we consider as published.)